Leave a Message

Thank you for your message. We will be in touch with you shortly.

Fire at Pullman Apartment Building Results in Evacuation of 40 Residents

Jordan Vorderbrueggen March 6, 2023
Do you want content like this delivered to your inbox?

On Sunday afternoon, a fire broke out at Kenwood Square Apartments located at 1225 NW Nye St. in Pullman, resulting in the temporary evacuation of 40 residents and smoke inhalation treatment for two people, according to a news release by the Pullman Fire Department. The fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery that was being charged for a remote-control car while a resident was away from the building.

The apartment building, which is owned and managed by the Community Action Center of Whitman County, had 36 occupied units. The Pullman and WSU police officers were able to evacuate the residents, which allowed firefighters to control the fire without searching each room. The evacuated residents were taken to the Pullman Senior Center, where one female resident was treated for smoke inhalation, and another person was taken to Pullman Regional Hospital for breathing difficulties.

Fire inspectors and the city building inspector have cleared the building for residents to return, except for three units, with representatives from the Community Action Center allowing affected residents to use two vacant apartments. The alarm company inspected the building in September and confirmed that all heat and smoke detectors were in working order and worked during the fire. The extent of the damage is pending review by the insurance company.

Find Your Dream Home

Browse active listings in the area or contact us for off-market listings.

Home Search

What's Your Home Worth?

Have an expert help you find out what your home is really worth.

Home Valuation